Skincare products can be a major source of toxins for many people, so building a naturalskincare routine is the most effective way to healthy, radiant, clear skin.
Choosing the right natural skincare products can be overwhelming -- we get it! How do you know which products you should and shouldn’t be using? To help, we’ve put together a simple, natural skincare routine for every skin type -- including the exact types of products you should be looking for based on yours. Follow this basic advice, and you’ll be glowing for good.
SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR NORMAL SKIN
Your skin can be classified as normal if it isn’t particularly oily or dry, and if anti-aging, acne, and sensitivity aren’t concerns on your radar—in other words, the skin type all of us wish we had. This is the best skincare routine for normal skin.
Cleanser (Morning/Night): A sulfate-free cleanser with a gentle lather will help keep your skin blemish-free.
- Toner (Morning/Night): Avoid toners with ingredients like SD alcohol 40, denatured alcohol, ethanol, and isopropyl alcohol which can be ultra drying.
- Moisturizer With SPF (Morning): A light moisturizer with spf will protect your skin from the sun and hydrate without clogging your pores.
Antioxidant Serum (Night): Look for ingredients like hyaluronic acid and vitamin C to brighten and revitalize otherwise normal skin.
- Moisturizer (Night): At night, you can go with a creamier moisturizer, sans SPF, to nourish your skin while you sleep.
Check out our Love Your Skin Daily Skincare Essentials Set for products we recommend for normal skin!
SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR DRY SKIN
The best skincare routine for dry skin typically contains products that keep skin hydrated. Dry skin has a damaged moisture barrier, meaning it has invisible cracks allowing moisture to escape and irritants to get in more easily.
- Cleanser (Morning/Night): A gentle foaming cleanser is best for those with dry skin.
- Toner (Morning/Night): To rebalance your skin's pH level look for a toner with ingredients like cucumber and hyaluronic acid to hydrate and plump.
- Antioxidant Serum (Morning): Using a highly potent antioxidant serum (look for vitamins E, A, and C) during the daytime to help prevent collagen breakdown.
- Moisturizer With SPF (Morning): A hydrating moisturizer with SPF is the final step in your a.m. skin routine to help your skin retain moisture while guarding against UVA/UVB rays.
- Retinol Serum (Night): Incorporate a retinol serum into your regimen five nights a week. Serums have smaller molecules and can better penetrate the skin.
- Eye Cream (Night): Look for an eye serum with vitamin K to target dark circles by boosting circulation.
- Hydrating Moisturizer (Night): Look for rose hip seed oil, evening primrose oil, borage oil, phospholipids, cranberry oil, sweet almond oil, and/or jojoba oil. All of these ingredients mimic the natural lipids in your skin and do a better job of repairing your skin’s moisture barrier.
Check out our Hydrating Skincare Routine Bundle for products we recommend for dry skin!
SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR OILY SKIN
Oily skin has larger oil glands and a high sebum content. So the goal is to lessen the oil activity by keeping your skin cells lightly hydrated. Our picks for oily skin contain ingredients that help control excess oil production.
- Cleanser (Morning/Night): In the case of oily skin, oil breeds bacteria, and bacteria leads to breakouts. Wash your skin three times a day if possible. The more oil, the more breeding ground for blemishes.
- Toner (Morning/Night): Look for an alcohol-free toner that has ingredients like chamomile and witch hazel.
- Oil-Free Moisturizer (Morning/Night): If you think you don’t need to use a moisturizer with oily skin, think again. Your skin can actually get oilier when it’s dehydrated, by overcompensating.
- Zinc Oxide Sunscreen (Morning): Definitely look for zinc oxide sunscreens, because those will leave a more matte finish to your skin. Plus, it’s a natural antibacterial and ideal for people prone to breakouts.
AHA/BHA Serum (Night): Any serum with alpha-hydroxy acids or beta-hydroxy acids will help reduce the appearance of large pores as well as brighten dull spots.
Clay Mask (Twice weekly or as a spot treatment):Clays deep clean pores and calms inflammation and breakouts.
Check out our Balancing Skincare Routine Bundle for products we recommend for Oily Skin.
SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR COMBINATION SKIN
The skincare routine for combination skin contains ingredients that treat a wide range of skin concerns. If you have combination skin, you’re oily in some places and dry in others. You don’t necessarily want to use two different routines, but instead find one in the middle of the road.
Cleanser (Morning/Night): Start with a micellar water cleanser. If your skin starts getting too dry, you can switch to a cleansing lotion.
- Toner (Morning/Night): Try a simple balancing witch hazel toner.
- Lightweight Moisturizer (Morning/Night): Combination skin doesn’t need an oil-free moisturizer, but it does need a lightweight one.
- Zinc Oxide Sunscreen (Morning): Just like with oily skin, zinc oxide sunscreens are great for combo skin, thanks to the matte finish.
AHA/BHA Serum (Night): A serum with vitamin C will minimize pores and brighten up dull skin. If you’re acne-prone, look for ingredients like salicylic acid and tea-tree oil to keep your skin clear.
SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
The skincare routine for sensitive skin needs to be soothing and non irritating. It’s more delicate skin that you can’t be aggressive with.
- Cleanser (Morning/Night): A gentle, sulfate-free cleansing lotion will get rid of your makeup and any impurities without disrupting your skin’s natural barrier.
- Toner (Morning/Night): Ingredients like rose water, green tea and witch hazel are all calming, anti-inflammatory ingredients to look for in a toner.
Lightweight Moisturizer (Morning/Night): Prickly pearpacks a punch when it comes to moisturizing sensitive skin, as it’s both hydrating and anti-inflammatory.
Zinc Oxide Sunscreen (Morning): Look for sunscreens with zinc oxide, as this ingredient is least likely to irritate sensitive skin.
Check out our Calming Skincare Routine Bundle for products we recommend for sensitive skin!
SHOP ALL HERBAL DYNAMICS BEAUTY BUNDLES